Tuesday 26 January 2016

Les Arcs, then onto Lanlesvillard, Val Cenis

Sat 23rd

Having moved down the mountain to Le Versoyen campsite in Bourg St Maurice I took advantage of the "Je Ski Samedi" promotion. You register online and get a reduced day pass for €30 instead of €47 - bargain.  The snow was good and after moving away from the usual busy pistes in Arc 2000 I enjoyed  a good day's skiing. After returning to the site I drove the van across to Super U to fill up with lpg  - it wouldn't work!  I could only get 2 lt in. Problem to solve.

Sun 24th

I had a brainwave (?) and tried pouring hot water over the lpg filler point and pipe - instant sound of gas in the pipe - had it frozen? The van has been in  minus temps since entering France, but i thought lpg didn't have any freezing problems?

I had planned to move to the Maurienne Valley and the Val Cenis ski area, so enroute I found a Total station with lpg. Fingers crossed - success! Fully gassed up I headed up the valley in glorious warm sunshine.


lunch stop - drying external screen

I arrived at the site about 2pm but had to wait until it opened at 4pm. Seems the owner had decided to go skiing............  only in France.  The site was covered in snow and very icy in parts but I managed to get a level pitch. Lanlesvillard is a lovely low key town with a nice atmosphere. The piste side bars were busy as it was the weekend. And it was sunny and warm.



Mon 25th

after a leisurely start I donned my ski kit and walked across to the lift station. Pass bought off I went for another fun day on skis. It was sunny and the snow wasn't bad up top, lower down it was very hard packed and icy in places. I stayed on the upper slopes all day. I had my lunch overlooking the Mont Cenis dam and reservoir - spectacular with Italy beyond.


Mont Cenis dam


post sking - drying boots & skis

Jan 26th

Another warm and sunny day was forecast, so after another leisurely breakfast I clomped over to the lift and was soon whizzing up. The snow was softer today and easier to ski on - no sudden hard, icy patches to catch you out. :-) I skied all over the area and found some pistes in good condition, shame the visibility was poor at first until the sun popped up over the mountain tops. Much better.

sunshine!



today's picnic stop

I finished the day off having a play on the beginners slope at the bottom as the snow had softened and the tracks over and around the huge mounds of snow-canon generated snow was fun! 



No comments:

Post a Comment